ELOFANS
Oct 19, 2019, 04:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FACE THE MUSIC - THE ELO STORY - BBC Radio  (Read 11773 times)
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: Jun 25, 2005, 07:43 »

FACE THE MUSIC - THE ELO STORY
Tuesday 5th July 21.30 - 22.30
Matthew Wright presents a whirlwind journey through the history of 70's legends, The Electric Light Orchestra.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/documentaries/
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2005, 05:15 »

Matthew Wright presents a whirlwind journey through the history of 70's legends, The Electric Light Orchestra.

We follow them from early beginnings as Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne's sixties side project while members of The Move, to the massive world-conquering orchestral rock-pop phenomenon of the late 70's and early 80's. ELO combined rock and pop songs with lavish orchestral arrangements in a way that had never been tried and has seldom been achieved.

At their peak, between 1974 and 1981, The Electric Light Orchestra amassed a string of gold, platinum and multi-platinum albums. The band were one of the biggest major arena and stadium draws during the seventies and early eighties, with shows becoming sonic and visual spectacles, including massive flying saucers and vibrant light and laser displays.

We plot their amazing story - the music, the sensational live show and the people. Jeff Lynne contributes with his 1st interview for 4 years along with other members of the band and their contemporaries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/documentaries/elo.shtml
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2005, 11:56 »

I can't believe that no one has posted their reaction to the broadcast. The Showdown list is under siege LOLOL

I enjoyed it very much. I never expected any earthshaking news to come out of it so I was not disappointed. Jeff sounded so upbeat and seemed to be overwhelmed at all the success he has achieved.

The upside is that Jeff did not close the door on a future for ELO. Because he said that he wrote all his major albums one after the other when he was in the mood and couldn't wait to start another one, it seems that we will have to wait until he is inspired again. But I always look at the glass as half full LOLOL

The downside is that in the beginning when he said they got two cellists and a violinist that he did not mention their names. And Kelly wasn't mentioned anywhere by the commentators who did venture the names of several band members. Sad.

ELO_chick
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2005, 01:29 »

Well to me one of the more interesting comments came from Richard Tandy, and basically saying how thrilled he was to NOT be on Zoom. Does anyone really believe that?

And most of it went over old ground, but it was nice to hear new quotes from Jeff. He seemed upbeat and talkative.

Also, it was kind of disappointing that he couldn't give a straight answer on the future, but I wouldn't read anything into it. He seems to be a bit paranoid about revealing things before absolutely necessary and before he has his facts straight. If anyone remembers the American Bandstand Calling America chat with Dick Clark, Jeff was hesitant to talk about ELO's new direction, because he hadn't got his "script" ready, or words to that effect.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2005, 01:53 »

Hello,

old story's or not, I loved the interview. Just hearing Jeff's voice again embraced me.
Beautifull put together with all those tunes passing by and stuff, cool. I also was surprised that Taylor Hawkins(drummer of the Foo Fighters, one of my present fav bands, I like ELO much better ofcourse)was in the interview, I liked it.

greetz Willem
WWW.ALTERNATIVA.NL(to hear ELO-inspired MP3's)
willem@alternativa.nl
beachboy
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2005, 02:13 »

Did you hear it> what are your thoughts?
ELO_chick
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2005, 04:18 »

Quote from: "beachboy"
Did you hear it> what are your thoughts?

We heard it and posted our thoughts. Did you read them?

What about your thoughts?

ELO_chick
tcwh1971
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2005, 04:32 »

I'm sad that I missed it! Anyone know where I can get a recording of it?
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2005, 01:39 »

Quote from: "tcwh1971"
I'm sad that I missed it! Anyone know where I can get a recording of it?

Click on the link to the BBC website. The show will be there for 7 days after the first airing. You can record it from there.
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2005, 08:35 »

I thought the most hysterical thing I've heard in a long time was someone's idea that Livin Thing was about orgasms....I had a listen to 'crest of a wave',  'slippin and slidin' etc etc and had a serious chuckle...

ttp://www.chrisflynn.org
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2005, 03:32 »

Quote from: "flynnstudio"
I thought the most hysterical thing I've heard in a long time was someone's idea that Livin Thing was about orgasms....I had a listen to 'crest of a wave',  'slippin and slidin' etc etc and had a serious chuckle...

Yeah, that was the first time I had heard that. I've heard Jeff say it's mistaken for being about a "dog", "abortion", or "save the whale", but not that one.
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2005, 11:35 »

aaah no - 'abortion' that's equally shocking - this further confirms my long held theory that everyone on planet earth is suffering from their own personal unique andto themselves utterly unrecongnisable form of insanity...

ttp://www.chrisflynn.org
bob310792
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2007, 11:53 »

Anyone willing to send me a copy of this through Sendspace or YouSendIt? I can offer someone some great rarities!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: