ELOFANS
Sep 25, 2017, 04:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: TIME - concept masterpiece?  (Read 12888 times)
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« on: Jul 15, 2005, 11:34 »

Hi everyone, I'm new here - please to find a group actively 'nerding' about elo too!!! - I'm a long time ELO fan  - ( I'm about 35 btw!!) - raised on ELO - first song of theirs I 'consciously' remember was 'All over the World' and I just thought "wow - what is this music - can it be possible" since then it's never really let me go...but recently I got to thinking that TIME is a totally underrated concept album masterpiece. I've stuck 'When Time stood Still' in between TWLMTB and Another Heart Breaks and it just 'completes' the journey for me...

What does everyone else think about this amazing futuristic melancholy masterpiece!!

ttp://www.chrisflynn.org
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2005, 09:55 »

Time was a sort of comeback for Jeff . Discovery and Xanadu scared a lot of the fans away ( to much disco ) . For that reason it's often overlooked.
 Sad
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2005, 12:17 »

Shame isn't it. I personally love the Xanadu set - 5 perfect songs to me ( yes dodgy film but what does that matter!) and Discovery has some great songs on it - wishing is a particular overlooked gem.
I guess that's what happens when a mega album like out of the Blue makes such an impact crater - it brings in 'musical tourists' who come along for the 'moment'.

Time is such an anachronism - it's still 'true' ELO - there are the strings, the synths and the rock n roll backbeat but Jeff seems to have allowed his imagination to step off from reality on such a profound and touching subject. Most of the songs are very cinematic. I can see why this wouldn't appeal to the pick n mix chart crowd but I'd have thought a new generation would have discovered it by now. This album realistically deals with the evolution of the human race but love and loneliness is still the root of all the heartache.
Funny when I was 11 or twelve listening to 21st Century man - who'd have thought I'd be one of them!!!

Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2005, 12:34 »

Quote from: "flynnstudio"
Shame isnRemember the good old 1980's when things were so uncomplicated...

Time is a gem, but the story is a little vague, which is probably why it hasn't been discovered by the masses.
Judemac
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2005, 08:53 »

Sgt Pepper is a great concept masterpiece or Dark Side Of The Moon. I don't think "Time" was even in "Eldorados" league. Judemac at the beach in Southern California...

http://www.webspawner.com/users/judemac/index.html
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2005, 12:38 »

Do you actually like any 'electronic/synthesized' music ?

Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2005, 06:20 »

Hey hello,

I love Time! It's my favourite album together with Out Of The Blue. I love the ''fresh'' sound of it, and also the gimmics and noizes among songs. Twilight(my fav.) is a brilliant song, love it. Also love almost every other song on Time, except for one or two. I think this album is indeed very underrated, to me it is the best, or at least one of the best albums of ELO.

greetz Willem
www.alternativa.nl
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2005, 07:19 »

I got to agree 100% Willem...your right : the sound is so fresh isn't it - so definably ELO but a true evolution of ELO's sound...your right this is Jeff and ELO at the top of their game - this is their summit - their mount everest...it's like listening to a musical nostradamus at work!

I found the re-mastered version has a real good bass extension - it kicks like a mule with my active subwoofer on - turn it up real loud, lay back and ''fly fly through a troubled sky unto a new world shining bright wooaa wooww <ching-fade>"

Here's some of my fave tracks from that album ( in no particular order)

Twilight  - just a  powerhouse of a tune - such highs, diverse - can't really say what it's about but it's sure wierd...

Your Truly 2095 - " she has an IQ of 1001 she has a jumpsuit on and she's also a telephone ' what a fantastic  tongue in cheek line - this song is full of em!

Ticket to the moon - such a vast melancholic vision - what a beautiful melody -

The Way Life's meant to Be - just another great hybrid-synth-rocker but you know it really speaks about things were almost seeing today - the erosion of a simple natural life at the expense of technological progress.

When Time Stood still - so emotional - haunting - heartbreaking if you want it to be -  I think one of Jeff's best ever - this song should have replaced another heart breaks for me on the original album cut which if I'm honest I can do without.

From the end of the world - synth bassline gem- great hook - just pounds along ( stunning string startup)

Here is the news - the range of themes and melodies in here is just vast - great synth work.  " the energy council today'!!! really who was projecting about things like energy councils back then huh???

21st Century Man - touching, melancholy masterpiece. 'though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow, you still wander the fields of your sorrow' how touching - how true is that!

Anyone who thinks this isn't real ELO and easily one of their best is tragically missing out on one of the most creative, intelligent and witty albums ever made by ANY ARTIST OR BAND let alone Jeff or ELO!.
It's truly great because it's one of those rare albums that genuinely talks about the nature of being human in an intelligent, visionary  was and of the bittersweet nature of progress.

Judemac
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2005, 08:49 »

Quote from: "flynnstudio"
Do you actually like any 'electronic/synthesized' music ?

Me! Not as much as guitars,drums bass etc. Depeche Mode I like them & collect their stuff but not many with that type sound. Hope I answered your question Chris.
Judemac at the beach in Southern California...

http://www.webspawner.com/users/judemac/index.html
Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2005, 11:33 »

Yeah, I'm also hooked on ''When Time Stood Still'', absolutely brilliant. A few days ago I played the song like 40 times over and over again, this song really touches me! I agree with you that this sure is one of the best songs Jeff wrote, no doubt!

greetz Willem
www.alternativa.nl
Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:00 »

I enjoyed Time very much....it was sort of a blend of old elo with some new twists.
Nuihc88
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2005, 08:46 »

Time sure is great. If there wouldn't be anything else good in the world than Time, i would still be happy :-)

i think someone (very skilled) should make a Sci-Fi movie based on the stories on this album.

New Renaissance is coming, are you ready?
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2005, 02:19 »

Personally, I love Time (at least as much as the other albums!).

Every track is different yet they all fit together.  It's played loud in my house,  When it reaches 'From The End Of The World', it get's turned up a bit more.  Yee Ha.   I love the way he sings that line;

"Oh please if this is a game I wish someone would win.
Oh please just let it fly to be upon the wind"

What is it about this guys music that does this.  Wilburys, McCartney, Petty, Harrison + others, any albums that are performed on or co-written by Jeff Lynne.  It's a special talent.
whiskeygirl
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2005, 07:20 »

Nuihc88 - could you make your avatar somewhat smaller please? It's squashing all the text over to the right hand side of the window!

Serena

ou can't rewind your life...
Nuihc88
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:45 »

sorry about that huge avatar thing, in the original url i linked it from, it was very small so i didn't bother to check what it looked like.

New Renaissance is coming, are you ready?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: