ELOFANS
Oct 20, 2019, 05:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghastly Jeff Lynne Tribute Album  (Read 7929 times)
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« on: Jul 16, 2005, 02:10 »

I am new here - and so don't want to get myself flamed out on day one - but does anyone else think that the tribute album with the awful pun on Jeff's good name ' Lynne me your ears' is an album full of the ghastliest slaughterings of some of the most beautiful songs ever made ?

Why is it that each artist feels the need to strip out the melody and reduce each of the songs to some kind of avant-garde musical experiment.Half way through I was honestly expecting someone to do a cover of Wild West Hero on a didgeridoo with pots and pans percussion and a yodelling vocal. There are perhaps a couple of exceptions but on the whole I just find the whole thing a trauma to ghastly to endure. I know the originals are a hard act to follow but those versions are just plain insulting.

Call me ridiculous but I consider even the Sugar Babes rip of Last train to London a more inspirational and uplifting reworking than those songs...

( puts his hard hat on and awaits the rocks)

:-)

ttp://www.chrisflynn.org
ELO_chick
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2005, 04:37 »

I agree. I started to listen to it and gave up.

ELO_chick
Judemac
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2005, 03:55 »

Ever since they started tribute albums they have been going down hill. I just stay clear of people doing covers of original artists material. I did get one by Elton John(because I professionally collect his work) that he covers top 40 tracks from the early 70's. That one was ok but see why Elton did not want it out. Doing songs for Woolworths to make a extra shilling(k-tel type songs) was fine but releasing the tracks is another thing,LOL. I'll have to listen to tribute album of Lynne but, bet it's as bad as you guys say it is....
Judemac at the beach in southern California...

http://www.webspawner.com/users/judemac/index.html
Utter
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:39 »

Quote from: "flynnstudio"

Call me ridiculous but I consider even the Sugar Babes rip of Last train to London a more inspirational and uplifting reworking than those songs...

I don't like lynne me your ears but I've never heard Sugar Babes rip off...but I've heard Atomic kittens 'be with you' (last train to london)
where can i get the sugar babes ripoff?

///Utter
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:47 »

sorry, I did mean atomic Kitten...don't know why I had sugar babes on my mind..

Utter
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:50 »

LOL okay..no probs

///Utter
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2005, 03:34 »

I think the Sparkle Jets version of "Above the Clouds" is pretty good, and the version of Mr Bluesky is interesting.
flynnstudio
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2005, 11:29 »

I'll go along with you on 'Above the clouds' which in all fairness is one of the better tracks,  but my dearest administrator please please tell me you can't seriously like that creepy wierd version of Mr Blue Sky...

Let me put it this way if you were stuck on a desert island with only a CD single of Tony viscotit's version of Mr blue sky would I be wrong in saying that after 2 listens you'd gladly snap the CD and go forever more without hearing music  ever again?  :wink:

ELOISM
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2005, 05:41 »

Jeff himself played some ridiculous ELO covers at the ZOOM thing.
whiskeygirl
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2005, 06:23 »

Quote from: "ELOISM"
Jeff himself played some ridiculous ELO covers at the ZOOM thing.

Someone has a death wish here... Wink

Serena

ou can't rewind your life...
missbluesky
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2005, 06:48 »

The only thing I can think to say about the ghastly tribute album is that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery... though I haven't heard it yet& now will need to...

We can probably expect to have only more of this sort of musical blasphemy... --much to TRUE fans consternation--simply because the SONGS are SOOOOOOOOO freakin' GOOD!!! They're gonna eventually be covered more than I'd ever hope to ponder, no doubt

That's okay; they stand on their own ground ---completely naked & stripped bare for all the world to 'see'.  

In the meantime we have a moment to gloat over having been privy to some of the most celestial and inspired musical arrangements in all of music history

If it will lead more fans to ck out the REAL DEAL then all the better!
ELOZoom
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:03 »

Some of the covers were good. The others less than zero.
The artists meant well and I have to give them credit for having a go at it.

f your heart could talk I wonder what it would tell me.
mL
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 01:14 »

covers of "messgae from the country" and "the minister" were quite solid...and yea, "above the clouds" was good too...a nice reworking of a more obscure later-era tune. "twilight" meritted a few listens, but yes, much of the work was pretty dreadful.
my $.02...and first post here...
mL
Anonymous
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005, 01:23 »

ps...the cover of 10538 overture's another excellent exception to the rule!
mL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: