ELOFANS
Oct 19, 2019, 04:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Petty album "Highway Companion" produced by Jeff Lynne  (Read 12918 times)
AstroWilbury

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:36 »

Has anyone heard when Tom Petty's Highway Companion will be released?
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2006, 03:32 »

Quote from: "AstroWilbury"
Has anyone heard when Tom Petty's Highway Companion will be released?

The latest information has it slated for June. Check out this Billboard article about it.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002198603

Another interesting thing in the article is this,

In support of the album, Petty and the Heartbreakers will tour extensively in 2006, with dates concentrated in the June-July and September-October time frames. True to form, they will try something different.

"What we're trying to do is a bunch of shows with different artists that either we like or think would be an interesting show," Petty manager Tony Dimitriades tells Billboard. "One of the main things we're doing is a bunch of shows with Pearl Jam. We're also talking to John Mayer about doing some dates, as well as the Strokes."

"And maybe in the occasional show there will be a friend [to] come on the road with us for a few days," he continues.

I wonder if Jeff could be one of those "friends"...
AstroWilbury

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2006, 09:10 »

Wouldn't that be awesome, if Jeff did some shows with Petty and the HBs!  But I am not going to hold my breath for that to happen.
ELOZoom
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2006, 06:12 »

It would be nice. But you know Jeff and touring.

f your heart could talk I wonder what it would tell me.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2006, 04:32 »

The latest from Rolling Stone:

Petty exudes genuine pride as he debuts for Rolling Stone nine of the songs slated for Highway Companion, including "Square One" and "Turn This Car Around." He began recording the album last year with Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and fellow Traveling Wilbury Jeff Lynne. Each contributes guitar parts, Lynne plays keys and a Hofner bass, Campbell plays a hefty amount of slide guitar ("He's never been better," says Petty) and, for the first time on record, Petty plays drums. Though they all but finished recording in February, Petty says, "The only thing keeping me from wrapping things up is just going, 'Well, I wonder if there's one more in me?'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/9680847/tom_pettys_summer_tour_his_last?rnd=1144466918152&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.872
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2006, 05:48 »

'Saving Grace' and 'Big Weekend' from Highway Companion will be making their debut during the NBA Playoffs and Finals.

From a press release posted on Ultimate Guitar http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/press_releases/tom_petty_and_the_nba_playoffs_finals.html?200604200324

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers have agreed to provide the opening music on NBA Playoff and Finals broadcasts on ABC Sports and ESPN. Petty's music will be featured in the opening on all Playoffs and Finals on ABC Sports and on the Eastern Conference Finals on ESPN. The telecasts will also exclusively debut two brand new songs, 'Saving Grace' and 'Big Weekend,' both from Petty's upcoming solo album, 'Highway Companion,' due out this summer. The NBA playoffs begin on ABC Sports Saturday, April 22 at 3:00PM EDT.

In addition, Petty's hit song, 'Runnin' Down A Dream,' will be played over NBA highlights; many more of Petty's songs will be part of all ABC Sports and ESPN coverage of the NBA, including classics 'I Won't Back Down,' 'Learning to Fly,' 'Makin' Some Noise,' and 'You Wreck Me.'

Petty's music and specially provided live footage shot by director Danny Clinch will be intercut with game highlights and made available to the NBA and to the participating teams to play over the hosting arenas' in-house video systems. These exclusive clips can soon be accessed at nba.com, espn.com, abc.com and tompetty.com.

During the last thirty years, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers have written and recorded some of the most memorable rock anthems of a generation. They have sold more than 50-million records and have been nominated for 16 Grammy Awards. The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers will kick off a major summer North American concert tour in June.

For more details regarding Tom Petty, log onto Tompetty.com.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:11 »

Any comments on "Saving Grace"?  I think it's pretty darn good.

http://streamos.wbr.com/qtime/wbr/tompetty/audio/tpetty_saving-grace-album_128.mov
LJ
« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2006, 05:56 »

Quote from: "Admin"
Any comments on "Saving Grace"?  I think it's pretty darn good.

http://streamos.wbr.com/qtime/wbr/tompetty/audio/tpetty_saving-grace-album_128.mov

It's as good as I thought it would be, and that's good.
ELOZoom
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2006, 09:21 »

Dig this.

Four tracks were just released on this site below.

You can listen four full versions of Tom Petty's upcoming album at
http://www.hyfntrak.com/tompetty/AFF26158/

Favorites of the four.

Big Weekend And Flirting With Time. Smiley

f your heart could talk I wonder what it would tell me.
billwebster
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2006, 01:08 »

Thanks very much for the Richard Dodd interview. Being merely a music listener, I'm just in the process of starting to realize in how many different ways the engineer's work can interfere with the artists work. I've always loved recordings that were done by guys like Richard Dodd or Don Smith, for their sound.
When ProTools arrived in the 90s, I was kind of shocked how sterile Eric Clapton's Pilgrim album (and his subsequent ones) sounded. Something must have gone wrong there - maybe they went for automated mixing? In contrast to that, albums like ELO's Zoom and Ry Cooder's Chavez Ravine sound so fresh, even though they were also recorded entirely in ProTools.
That proves the fact that even with a computer right beside you, the work of a good engineer is still audible - much like it was with real drummers and drum computers, when they came on the scene in the 1980s.

Besides that, I'm already highly anticipating Highway Companion.
Anonymous
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2006, 05:38 »

Just a little side note to the whole Jeff Lynne/Tom Petty/George Harrison connection.  I recently read the "Conversations with Tom Petty" book, which was very good.  At the very end of the book, Tom describes writing some of the songs for the "Highway Companion" album and then going over to Jeff's with Mike Campbell to record them.  Then I noticed in the liner notes to Highway Companion that part of the album was recorded at a place called "Bungalow Palace."  Thinking that sounded very Wilburyish, I did a little research and found a 2003 interview with Dhani Harrison where he talks about the making of the "Brainwashed" album.  In that interview, he describes taking the tapes of his father's demos to Jeff Lynne's studio in LA--Bungalow Palace.  So now we know the name of Jeff's home recording studio, although it's interesting that the liner notes to "Zoom" make no reference to it.  Anyone else have any info on this?
Larry L
« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2006, 12:45 »

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Just a little side note to the whole Jeff Lynne/Tom Petty/George Harrison connection.  I recently read the "Conversations with Tom Petty" book, which was very good.  At the very end of the book, Tom describes writing some of the songs for the "Highway Companion" album and then going over to Jeff's with Mike Campbell to record them.  Then I noticed in the liner notes to Highway Companion that part of the album was recorded at a place called "Bungalow Palace."  Thinking that sounded very Wilburyish, I did a little research and found a 2003 interview with Dhani Harrison where he talks about the making of the "Brainwashed" album.  In that interview, he describes taking the tapes of his father's demos to Jeff Lynne's studio in LA--Bungalow Palace.  So now we know the name of Jeff's home recording studio, although it's interesting that the liner notes to "Zoom" make no reference to it.  Anyone else have any info on this?

Yeah you're right about that being Jeff's studio name, as for Zoom, it probably wasn't called that at the time.  He probably called it something for tax purposes to distinguish it as it's own entity.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: