ELOFANS
Oct 19, 2019, 04:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviewed: AlternativA - A Night In Starlight  (Read 11000 times)
c811034

View Profile WWW
« on: Aug 10, 2005, 02:32 »

Ok, time to tell you all that the CD "A Night in Starlight" from AlternativA is by far the best new stuff that has come out this year sofar.

Available from http://www.alternativa.nl since last month, I have been listening to this at least a couple of times every day since I got it in the mail about 2 weeks ago, and can't put it aside. That has not happened with any music in my house for a long long time!
Promised to be influenced and based upon the music of Jeff Lynne, this CD entirely lives up to that promise:
Great vocal harmonies, string and choir layers (albeit electronically from synths, still very good) and a clear thouroughly enjoyable to listen to soundmix. 14 tracks in all, starting with an (1) instrumental overture, leading into a great intro track (2) Fly Away. Pure fun song.
Then one of the hilite songs:(3) Shiny Blue Nights: ELO sound  all over! Shivers down my spine every time I listen to it.
(4)-Love You true - To me one of the weakest tracks, a bit annoying melody, but not skipped it yet ;-)
(5)-When You're Lost - The other absolute topper. Reminds me a lot of "Wild West Hero" chorus (keep joing in singing "round the fire o so bright" all the time;-)
(6)-All It would Have Taken - This is the alternative to Mr Blue Sky. Play it when you're feeling down to see the light again ;-) Can't keep feeling sad with this going on.
(7)- Sunglass Hero - Dedicated to Jeff Lynne, great song, though the "worshipping" goes a bit over the top for me ;-)
(8 )- Change the music - Hey the s*** word is popping up here, where did we hear that before? I like the message of this song, I fully agree here.("the only thing I hear is rappers, hip-hop, R&B, and I just want to change the music back (...) hear back a real good tune"). Great intro a-la TIME album leading into an up-temp song. What do the song-verses remind me of?
(9) - Give us a little bit more - Nice ballad. (with choir and strings)
(10)-Hi and Good Afternoon - Up-tempo happy song, more Beatles than ELO. Kinda "when I'm 64"
(11)-Carry On - Slow piano intro. Sad love song, only vocals, piano and simple (but beautiful) strings.
(12)-It's alright - The rockiest song. And like the ones on ELO's albums (Rock n Roll is King and Hold on tight) not particular my fav.
(13)-Join us for Christmas - The christmas song that came out on single last year. Works great during the holidays...
(14)-A Dream of Magical Fantasies - Instrumental outtro of this disk. Orchestrated strings and horns from synths. No symphony, more like a waltz ;-) ... No wait... is IS a waltz!

A very good effort from AlternativA to achieve the full ELO production sound. Some of the electric piano would be better off using a real one,
(also choir and strings, but that would be way too costly) some of the drum parts could have been a bit more worked out. The weakest point (IMHO) are the song lyrics, which are sometimes too "over the top" (Sunglass Hero) or embarrassing simple. (But that's what ELO was criticised for too, not?)

But, apart from those minor details: This CD contains the best ELO music I've heard for a long time (oops ELO-sounding ...).

Regards,

Marcel van Ek
Best, Netherlands

(I am in no way affiliated with AlternativA and/or any of its musicians, just love this CD)
ELOISM
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2005, 05:27 »

Alright. I had a bit of a listen and I thought it was terrific.
Willem sure has done a good job with the vocals and although
I only took a brief dose I am sure I will return for more soon.
Best of luck to the guys and I know that kind of thing would
go down really really really really really really well in Japan.
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2005, 08:01 »

I agree! very good job! I love all the songs on that album, especially the ballads, hope their second album will be out soon, they realy sound a lot as ELO!

regards, Javier (France)
chippa
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2005, 12:20 »

Great stuff! I hope you go far with your music!
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2006, 03:17 »

Hello everyone,  here is the news:

AlternativA will release a new maxi-single in Oktober 2006! The first track is the AlternativA-classic Fly Away, followed by 2 or 3 totally new songs, again inspired by ELO. In the mean time we are still working hard on our new album, which will most likely come out early 2007.

Read the news on our website: WWW.ALTERNATIVA.NL

Many greetings to all ELO-fans out there, we'll do anything to keep the ELO-sound alive!

AlternativA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: