ELOFANS
May 25, 2022, 01:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unreleased Secret Messages Acetates up for bid on EBay  (Read 8720 times)
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: Dec 15, 2005, 03:21 »

Rob Ford has decided to sell his rare Secret Messages acetates for some reason. Anyone going to bid on these or want to predict how high they will go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7567985066
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2005, 03:22 »

And to quote Mr Ford's listing:

"First and most important...What is an acetate?? An acetate is cut prior to cutting the master disc which is used in the mass production of records. Although referred to as an acetate, it is essentially an aluminum disc coated with a fine film layer of nitro-celluolose lacquer. They are nothing special to look at, there are no picture sleeves, and no special artwork. Acetates are extremely rare and in most cases one of a kind.
So if you have an acetate, you have a disc that was theoretically cut for the producer, engineer, and artist to listen to. These particular acetates were produced at Allen Zentz studios on 3-11-1983 and on 3-4-1983. Once the project is approved or disapproved the acetates are normally discarded or destroyed.

Here is without doubt the most rare and sought after ELO collectable in the world and the most rare item ever to hit E-bay. This is the one of a kind original ELO acetates for ELO's 1983 unreleased double LP "Secret Messages". This is just the way Jeff had intended for it to be released, as a double LP. At the last moment the double LP was scrapped and it was cut down to the single LP that we all know and own.

I have been collecting ELO for nearly 30 years and I have owned this set of acetates since 1989, long before Endless Lies, Hello My Old Friend, No way Out and Beatles Forever had ever been heard or made it to CD release.

Since 1983, most people have known that Secret Messages was intended to be a double LP release. In many interviews Jeff discusses the double LP and why it never came to be, here is your chance to own it for yourself, this is the Holy Grail of ELO collectables.

First let me say that these are not cheap, when I purchased them in 1989 I paid over $6000.00 for them. The times and versions of each track may in fact differ from the actual CD released versions.

I am not interested in making any copies of the LP's or tracks off of the LP's for sale or trade. I believe that the winner of the acetates deserves the right to have the only copy.

The auction has been made a private auction for this reason. I would imagine that the winner would not want to get hundreds of E-mails requesting a copy. I feel that the winner will reserve the right to make that choice.

The condition of these acetates is very good. There are a few minor scratches here and there but they do not affect the play. They have been tested on a high end player and do not skip. As mentioned above, the tracks may differ from what was commercially released on CD. I have listed below the complete track listings and I have made a few notes as to a few items that I noticed that were different than the CD release. There may in fact be many more differences but here are just a few.

Disc 1 Side A recorder 3-11-83 Secret Messages, Loser Gone Wild, Blue Bird, Take Me On and On,

Disc 1 Side B recorded 3-11-83 Stranger, No Way Out, Beatles Forever (4:31), Letter From Spain, Danger Ahead (has a 3 second backwards whisper as a intro)

Disc 2 Side A recorded 3-04-83 Train Of Gold, Danger Ahead, Endless Lies (3:30), Hello My Old Friend (7:47) (has a 3 second intro of wind)

Disc 2 Side B recorded 3-04-83 Four Little Diamonds, Buildings Have Eyes, Time After Time, After All, (37 second version), Rock and Roll is King

Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 02:11 »

They're at $4500 as of right now...
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:19 »

i hope that the one who buys it makes ogg vorbis/320 mp3 -rip of it, and shares it over the internet, even though i already have those songs :-)

Nuihc88
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:20 »

After paying 4600+, I doubt they'll be willing to spread it around for free. Hopefully it's someone who just wants the songs and will resell very soon.
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:55 »

"After paying 4600+, I doubt they'll be willing to spread it around for free."

maybe i'm just stupid, but i just can't see the logic in that :-S
what does it matter to that someone if others get a copy of it for free? after all that "priceless artifact" won't get any more expensive/cheaper if copies of it are passed on. plus i can't see any reason why not to get a good feeling from making other's feel happy too (i sure wouldn't want to miss that feeling).

Nuihc88
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:06 »

so, now it's sold. with a price of 6,850.00 US $
more than i will ever see on my livetime :-D

PS i noticed that i had written lazy with an s (i hope that lasy doesn't mean anything :-D)

New Renaissance is coming, are you ready?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: