ELOFANS
Oct 28, 2020, 09:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELO thoughts from a relatively new poster  (Read 6947 times)
oregonbri
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 07, 2006, 04:06 »

I'm suffering from insomnia this morning and have played several albums, including Wire's "Chairs Missing" and some Fiery Furnaces. Then I put in "Time" and realized that it might be the best pop album of all time. I vewi this album the way I view "Sunflower" by The Beach Boys: It's the maturity of a great idea, even if the original intentions (in the BBs' case, Brian Wilson, and in this case, the strings) aren't there. I see "Eldorado" as The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds," and even though I love both of those albums, I don't think they're nearly as good as their successors. What do you all think?
  I've read that Jeff wrote "Out of the Blue" in a week. I love this disc; it's among my 10 favorites of all time, and I have about 600 CDs. But I have to ask: Was he on coke or amphetamines when he wrote this? Coming up with this many great melodies in such a short period of time, after suffering from writer's block, seems almost impossible, if not inhuman.
Nuihc88
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2006, 10:16 »

Jeff never did drugs.

Jeff just happens to be a God, and that's just how he's able to do the impossible :-)

New Renaissance is coming, are you ready?
ELOZoom
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:47 »

Jeff doing drugs to get his inspirations? Hardly.

He's just good at doing what he does. Nothing more, nothing less.

f your heart could talk I wonder what it would tell me.
PetSounds
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2006, 01:42 »

To my mind Jeff Lynne is an amazingly melodic songwriter...with obvious nods to the Beatles, but taking an element of the fab fours music but making a sound uniquely his own...I would put him on a par with Brian Wilson, the difference being that Jeff had the emotional stability that Brian lacked...
Elofanatician
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2006, 06:53 »

Jeff?

Genius who wrote, sounded and looked good.
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2006, 07:35 »

I played Time probably more than any ELO album.  It is not my favorite but pretty close.
tabruns
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:49 »

I don't think he wrote OUT OF THE BLUE in a week.  From what I understand,  he locked himself away in a Swiss chalet and for the first couple weeks didn't come up with anything at all.  Towards the end of his stay he did write quite a few songs, and then wrote more while ELO was in the studio doing the recording.

I've never known though which songs got written at the chalet and which came later in the studio.  It would be cool to someday see "ELO - The Recording Sessions" and get inside info on it all.
tcwh1971
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2006, 11:23 »

I agree, if your refering to a book called ELO - The Recording Sessions. Abba released a book sometime ago with a similiar title. Gives an insight into how they recorded their songs like what was written, when and where, what never made it and how certain parts of songs were used in other parts plus stuff that was happing at that time. It's a fascinating read for the music lover who has a thirst for that sort of thing.
PetSounds
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2006, 01:42 »

Can anybody recommend a good book on ELO and Jeff's songwriting...would be just my kind of read !
stuarty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:15 »

I have just registered on this website. Glad to be able to correspond with as many people as possible who share my obsession with the greatest band of all time, fronted by "The Man" who was and is so gifted but is also so media shy.
My one dream would be to see the '76 to '78 line up perform live, even just the once as this was the best line up in my opinion.
Would like to hear what you think.
stuarty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2006, 08:02 »

Have to say I am a bit disappointed at hte lack of correspondence.
Would like to say that I dont count Zoom as an ELO album and was so unimpressed by it even though at the time I would have been glad of any ELO release.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: