ELOFANS
Oct 23, 2020, 12:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: HELLO... HOW ARE YOU!  (Read 11649 times)
Anonymous
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2006, 12:48 »

same here! i'd be glad to have a friend to talk about ELO with Cheesy
whiskeygirl
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2006, 01:02 »

41 year old female, also based in UK... etc. Smiley

Serena

ou can't rewind your life...
gregralls
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2006, 06:44 »

i guess i've never really introduced myself, either.  i'm a 37-year-old musician from philadelphia, pennsylvania.  i'd always appreciated elo from afar until early january of this year.  since then, i've spent hundreds of hours listening and being influenced by their music.  truly life-changing music for me.

reg
EH, Spain
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:57 »

Hello, I'm a male fan from Madrid, Spain 41 yrs. old
I just want at least to share ELO comments and opinions with people that may understand how deep ELO music may have touched you.
I'm a great Beatle fan, Pink Floyd's as maybe second choice, but for my money that the album I've liked most of all I've heard in my life is nothing less that TIME, of our dear friends.
And Jeff is maybe for me the single talent that I most respect and admire.
Greetings!!
EH
MrAdam
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:01 »

Hey gang! I'm Adam! Feel fre to add me on msn or aim oremail me! I always love talking to other ELO fans! I make all my friends listen to them haha! anyway yeah! have a good one!
Anonymous
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2006, 03:00 »

hello elo fan club members.my names is anton holland. my friends call me 21st century man. i have been a E.L.O fan going back to 1981. my faverite album is time. P.S i am trying to fine my frined jeff brooks. he is allso fan of E.L.O.  Cheesy
matskiuk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2006, 08:26 »

im a fan from uk englamd, love elo, their a time above then selves, love the meet up pics, they cool, well funny anyone wanna add me if ya got msn messenger, add mat_neaves@hotmail.com

im listenig to elo at this moment cant help but adding this they are superb, get me going everytime, their composition is the best, everything about them is just amazing, even to todays stuff they are way above music writing and emotional content no one these days can produce the feeling that they do

im in a fantasy world when i listen to them

mat

Smiley
MrAdam
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 05:58 »

Wow I love them too tahts so amazing Smiley
Rahil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 07:12 »

hi everyone Smiley

great to be here  

I'm Rahil Babooram (living in Trinidad, Caribbean)

I'm a singer/songwriter/musician.

My main influence is the Beatles and I love each of them dearly.
ELO/Jeff Lynne shares my #1 spot with the Beatles Smiley

I am also into Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, Nirvana, BeeGees, Sepultura, Phil Collins, and mainly 60s thru 80s music.

Due to my parents i have been listening to all this great music since before i stepped out into the world Smiley

the main ELO albums i grew up on were Discovery, Out of the Blue, A New World Record, Ol? ELO

I'm a one-man band for my recordings (vocals, guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, etc.) but when I perform live I get together the band 'Rahil Babooram with Come Together'...

you can hear/see more about my music at http://rahil.iscool.net/
or http://myspace.com/rahilbabooram

here's a little pic of me

anyway, enough about me Smiley

I Love what i see so far on this forum and very happy to be here amongst other ELO fans Smiley

color=orange] check out my music at
http://rahil.iscool.net/
or http://myspace.com/rahilbabooram Smiley [/color]
Eldorado

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 04:11 »

Quote from: "beachboy"
I was 14 when I first heard A New World Record...

Hi there!
I was 14 when I first heard ELO, It was Turn to stone on the radio...It had me mesmerised! My older brother bought me Out of the blue for my 15th birthday & I bought  second hand copies of Eldorado & New World Record from a local record shop...I became a fan for life...
I must confess I went into denial during my late twenties because it was very UNCOOL to like ELO!!!!!! (yeah I know, shallow me  :oops: )

I'm still a massive fan today though & have a healthy ELO collection...

Ella

he dreamer, the unwoken fool,
High on a hill in eldorado...
oregonbri
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 07:48 »

Hey there. I'm Brian, I'm 31 and I live in Oregon. I got into ELO after getting into the Beatles and, to a much greater extent, the Beach Boys in my early and mid-20s. I bought my first ELO album in 2001 despite my then-girlfriend's protests, as her father had listened to the greatest-hits stuff and she'd hated it. I lucked into buying "Eldorado," and of course, I loved it.

She demanded to know what I was listening to in the shower while I played "Can't Get it Out of My Head" and "Mister Kingdom" in the shower and admitted that she thought it was pretty good stuff. I found "Out of the Blue" at a used record store in Iowa, where we lived at the time, and was in love with the band from that point forward. I since have bought "A New World Record," "Discovery," "Out of the Blue," "Face the Music," "Time," "Secret Messages," "Balance of Power," "On the Third Day" and ELO II's "Moment of Truth."

I got used to being dissed for my fan-dom of the Beach Boys, and now I have to defend ELO to the ignorant. I'll admit that I don't think much of "Evil Woman" and "Strange Magic," but so many other tunes by this band have hooked me. I introduce it to other music fans by saying that "Out of the Blue" is the best collection of songs that ELO has released, and (surprise) "Time" is the best actual album, edging out "Eldorado." I have yet to buy "Zoom" or the first two albums, let alone any live stuff. What do you all suggest that I buy next?

I thought Brian Wilson was underappreciated, but man, Jeff Lynne might be the most underappreciated artist in rock history. It's a crime that more people don't know at least 20 ELO songs by heart.

Brian
DavidLG1971

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 04:46 »

Quote from: "oregonbri"
I have yet to buy "Zoom" or the first two albums, let alone any live stuff. What do you all suggest that I buy next?

Hey Brian.  I'm a little older - 35 - and have been a fan since I was about 12!

A funny thing though - while I had John Lennon's last album, and a few of Paul McCartney's albums in the 1980s, I didn't get into the Beatles until I was about  19 or so, and began writing my own music (both classical and popular).  I read many books on composers, and several on the Beatles.  So even before becoming familiar with their music, I was knowledgeable of their work.  Pretty soon I was a huge Beatles fan - a funny thing to consider that I was an ELO fan first!

My older brothers had lots of records, so I heard Discovery first, because they had the LP.  After that, I loved their songs from the Xanadu album, and also Twilight and Hold On Tight.  So by the time I was 14, I went out and bought Time, Secret Messages, Out Of The Blue and their first Greatest Hits LP.

As for where to go next, you already have most of their best stuff.  I'd recommend two albums:

No Answer - their first album (titled Electric Light Orchestra in GB)
Zoom - their last album

No Answer has their first great song on it, the underrated "10538 Overture".  Easy to see the Beatles influence there...it sounds like something off of Magical Mystery Tour. (obviously a bit inspired by I Am The Walrus)  I only recently discovered this song, and it's now among my very favorite ELO tunes.

My ranking of their albums goes:

Best albums:

Time, Eldorado, No Answer, Zoom, Out Of The Blue, On The Third Day, Flashback (the box set)

Good albums:

Discovery, A New World Record, Face The Music

"Just OK" albums:

Xanadu (their part, anyway!), Secret Messages, Balance Of Power

If you haven't heard it, Jeff Lynne's Armchair Theatre solo CD from 1990 is a very good album.  It features Richard Tandy, George Harrison and Tom Petty on several tracks.

The latest album Zoom is mostly just Jeff alone, although he brought Richard Tandy back to play some keys, and Ringo Starr and George Harrison are featured on some songs too.  Zoom is sort of a return to their 1970s guitar-rock sound, a bit more stripped-down, with less strings.  Some great, great songs though.

Quote from: "oregonbri"
I thought Brian Wilson was underappreciated, but man, Jeff Lynne might be the most underappreciated artist in rock history. It's a crime that more people don't know at least 20 ELO songs by heart.

100% agreed.  Lynne is a genius.  I think people overlook ELO for 4 reasons:

1.  So many of ELO's songs are breezy, happy tunes - Livin' Thing, Turn To Stone, Mr. Blue Sky, etc. (Though nobody holds that against the Beatles...strange)

2.  Disco - Discovery was ELO's first heavily-disco flavored LP, and while it was a big hit, a lot of older fans were probably turned off by it.  It was a conscious decision, though - the title of the album reveals that.  Jeff turned the word phrases around to get the title - DISCOVERY came from VERY DISCO.

3.  Synthesizers - ELO's popularity plummeted after Time, with many people crediting the drop-off to Jeff's heavy use of synths later on in his music.  I find this ironic, because I think Time is their best album.  A great sci fi story, too.

4.  Xanadu - The precursor to Time, featuring much synthesizers - and no strings - and a more Abba-influenced sound, veering towards the sci fi sound of Time.  A big success again...but ELO's old fanbase that liked the guitar-and-strings combination was probably gone by this point.

But at base, the guy writes wonderful melodies, changes, and soaring choruses - and always did, whether the arrangements were guitar-oriented, string-oriented, or synth-oriented.  Brilliant producer, arranger, singer - Jeff Lynne (and ELO) rocks!

I think as time goes on, more and more people will hop on board the ELO train, though.

-David
BeatElo

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 01, 2006, 02:20 »

Hi everyone, I'm Brian {not another one you might ask}38 years old been playing Lead guitar since the age of eleven, Influenced by The Beatles,Shadows,Dire straits,Pink Floyd etc,and of course Jeff Lynne and ELO.
I first heard ELO when i was a kid my dad mistakingly bought A New World Record and thought it was a classical album, any way we heard it and thought these guys are Brilliant, turned out to be a classic Rock,POP,classical Album rolled into one {sounded to me like a cross between The Bee Gees, and The Beatles as well).
I had the ELO bug and got every album(on viny}I could get, Soon after I got all my back catolog on CD.

Fantastic site, after reading some threads I too feel Jeff Lynne is seriously Underated hes a Brilliant Producer, singer/songwriter, Guitar player{got a good ear).

As George Harrison once said "he can write a song out of bits left over from another one, he's that good".

From the Biggest Beatles and Elo fan.

BeatElo

bye bye for now.

Cheesy
croquettes

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 07, 2006, 02:20 »

Hello, new member here
I'm 53 years old, live in france
and I've been an ELO fan since about 1978
my fist record was Out of the Blue
Anonymous
« Reply #29 on: Aug 20, 2006, 07:33 »

howdy all

I am in seattle USA and have been a fan since the first time I heard Telephone Line about 30 years ago...ouch.    I thought Zoom was a mediocre effort.   Would love for Jeff to get back with Louis Clark and do an album with an orchestra again.   Thats what turned most of us onto his music.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: