ELOFANS
Oct 21, 2017, 12:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Def Leppard Covers ELO  (Read 6588 times)
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 04:49 »

Def Leppard will be releasing a covers album this year and one of the tracks is 10538 Overture.

The other songs covered are listed here:

http://www.defleppard.com/news/index_update_0201a.html
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2005, 04:59 »

More on the Def Leppard covers album here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/arts/music/03play.html?

It will include 10538 Overture
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2006, 08:51 »

Def Leppard will be having a new CD comprised entirely of cover songs out soon.  It's called 'Yeah".   The disc will have their version of 10538 Overture.  It should be interesting to hear.  10538 has one of Jeff's greatest guitar riffs, which is probably what attracted Lep to the song in the first place.  How they cover Roy's sawing cello is anyone's guess, but I bet it will sound good - Def Lep had been known to be very meticulous in the recording process (previous works with Mutt Lange).  Enjoy.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2006, 02:06 »

"Coming hot on the heels of their platinum-certified two-CD hits package "Rock of Ages", DEF LEPPARD have announced that they will release their 12th studio album, "Yeah!", on May 23, 2006. "

From http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=50342
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:19 »

30 second clip of Def Leppard's version of 10538 Overture now on their website - defleppard.com
Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 04:52 »

Right. you can hear it by clicking here:

http://mfile.akamai.com/10869/wma/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/m_partner/def_leppard/10538_overture_30.wma
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2006, 02:45 »

I just purchased the Def Lep album and their version of 10538 is very good - faithful to the original (strings are on there).  The recording was done with care and respect.  Interesting liner notes from Joe Elliot and Phil Collen talking about Jeff and Roy.  I recommend giving this a listen if you have the chance.
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2006, 03:30 »

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to the ad campaign for Def Lep's covers disc, Yeah, but none of the promo trumpets the great version they do of 10538 Overture.  Everything I have seen and heard says "Def Lep covers Blondie, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, Kinks, etc" but no mention of ELO.  Is it career suicide to associate yourself with ELO?  I remember in the late '80s when Jeff was on a roll with George Harrison, Tom Petty and the Traveling Wilburys that "produced by Jeff Lynne" was a good thing.

Once again it appears ELO is underrated and under-appreciated.
ELOZoom
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:50 »

Depends on how you look at it. Not everyone likes ELO in one way or another. It's just one of those things that has to grow on a person over time.

f your heart could talk I wonder what it would tell me.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2006, 03:33 »

Joe Elliott's comment on 10538 Overture:

"Hopefully it's beyond people's belief. There's a certain joy you get out of the shock factor of people looking at the album and going, 'I can't believe they're doing ELO and they're haven't done the 'Mr. Blue Sky' period. They've done ELO from '72, which is the mental ELO period. The '10538 Overture' is one of the highlights for me because we nailed the strings section. That whole song is almost built around the 'Dear Prudence' guitar lick and the end part of 'I am the Walrus.' It's so obviouosly influenced by the Beatles. It's kind of fun to discover second-generation Beatles ideas done 30 years later. The big attraction to this song was the opening five seconds, that guitar jangle. It's so enormous, and for '72 it was mind blowing."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: