ELOFANS
Nov 19, 2019, 04:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Out Of The Blue' and 'Balance Of Power' Remastered Editions  (Read 2620 times)
tcwh1971
Veteran

View Profile
« on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:22 »

On Thursday I received 'Balance Of Power' and 'Out Of The Blue' standard edition and special edition. I also received the 'Out Of The Blue' poster a day earlier. three postcards were also included to mark these releases which is nice addition.

Poster looks great if only it was a bit bigger but still a cool item to have on you wall or as a keep sake.

BOP features an incredible 7 bonus tracks (now that's more like it!)
One of the first thing I noticed about Balance of Power was the back cover being a decidedly greenish lime coloured yellow! The 'L' on the front is also of that colour. Whether this is a one-off printing glitch, I'm unsure. It's not yellow like it should be and so looks rather off putting. I'm hoping it is a one-off. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has ordered these CDs through FTM and received BOP with the dodgy greeny yellow colour.

The special edition of 'Out Of The Blue' is lavishly packaged to a high standard and looks great! The inclusion of the original model spaceship is a nice touch. I have to say I?m very please with this edition but a bit disappointed it only features 3 bonus tracks, one of which is only 24 seconds long? Why Jeff thought this would be worth putting in is baffling as I?m sure he has plenty more demos, outtakes etc in that vault of his! Considering this particular album is thought of as one of ELO?s finest albums and probably most well known, it seems really odd it only features a 3 bonus tracks. I had it in mind it could perhaps feature an additional disc of outtakes and demos etc. Now that would have been something!

The Special edition of OTTB has the CD stored within a sleeve like pocket which I find rather tight and because of this, it?s hard to get the CD out without really pulling at it, resulting in marks or fingerprints. I?ll probably use the standard edition to listen to.

I wonder if the previous remastered editions of ?Time?, ?Secret Messages?, ?Discovery? and ?Eldorado? will be given a re-release to match the quality of these superb and much welcomed editions since they look inconsistent with these new releases.[/quote]
ELOZoom
Veteran

View Profile
RE:
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:53 »

Seems we're getting a tad spoiled for things that may never come to pass.

Why should they be remastered a second time? You'd be buying copies that may never be set in the proper tracjing order.

Be glad that Jeff was able to salvage what he could. I've a feeling there may be more in the future in one way or the other. A big chunk of it may have been destroyed or erased through Sony's mismanageing the acetetates.

f your heart could talk I wonder what it would tell me.
jeffelofan
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2007, 03:37 »

Just received the deluxe edition of Out of the Blue and it's great.  On my copy, however, I did notice a rather prominent "drop-out" during the song Night In The City.  In the section toward the end of the song when the group is singing: "I'll get ya, is it gonna get ya," the treble drops significantly and the sound almost goes to mono.  It's pretty brief, but is noticeable.  I don't know whether this is due to the high resolution of the remaster or represents damage to the original master tapes, or is maybe a combination of both.  I listened to the song on my old Out of the Blue CD and it didn't seem to do this.  Has anyone else noticed this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: