ELOFANS
Jul 22, 2019, 05:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Balance of Power Underrated?  (Read 4368 times)
ELOkid222
Veteran

View Profile
« on: Feb 27, 2007, 01:35 »

Is BOP an underrated album? I thought it was a great way for ELO to say goodbye.
MarvinDJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 05:05 »

I've been listening to all my ELO albums these past few weeks. Balance Of Power is the only one i cant find much saving grace in.
billwebster
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2007, 09:28 »

Balance Of Power surely is underrated. With all its synths and keyboards, it's an experimental record for a well established band - which is always a bit of a risky kind of artistic and stylistic renewal. It's about the only 80s synthpop album that I like, because of Jeff's excellent melodies and songwriting. And the vintage keyboards sound somewhat charming these days. That will happen to the hit songs of 2004, when every song from every genre just HAD to have a hip hop beat. It's going to be dated in the 2010s, but kinda cool in the 2020s ;-)
ELOkid222
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2007, 04:32 »

I just bought the BOP remaster ELO have never sounded better!
Daan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 02:02 »

After the remaster i wonder why all the bonus tracks are replaced in the first place  Cheesy  eg Opening followed by Heaven Only Knows (alternate version ) is so much better start of a record   :!:
tabruns
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2007, 07:58 »

I have to say I absolutely loathed the album cover of 'Balance Of Power' (and still loathe it, in fact).  "Calling America" has grown on me over the years to the point where it's one of my favorite ELO songs now.  I also think "Getting To The Point" is a great song.  It took me awhile to actually buy the album (I didn't buy it for probably a few years after it had been released); when I did buy it I gave it a cursory listen and kinda went "eh" and forgot about it.  Going back and listening to it in recent years, I've gained appreciation for the two songs above (I already liked them but now I *really* like them), and also "Without Someone", "Is It Alright", "Heaven Only Knows" (prefer the remix tho), and "Secret Lives" (prefer the remix).  "Endless Lies" belongs on 'Secret Messages'.  "In For The Kill" and "Destination Unknown" should have been on the original 'Balance Of Power' release.
macdude425

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2007, 07:45 »

Balance of Power is the ONLY ELO album I've listened to and felt depressed afterwards.

I think that speaks volumes for how I feel about it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: