ELOFANS
Sep 23, 2017, 05:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Out Of The Blue  (Read 13090 times)
AlternativA
« on: Feb 19, 2005, 07:20 »

hey hello,

what is it that makes out of the blue the best ELO album for many people?
in my opinion it's indeed the best ELO album, but is it because there's so many orchestra in it, or is it the style of the songs.
I would love to see some opinions here

thank you
Willem
www.alternativa.nl/english
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:19 »

I've never been one to be as much into the string thing as I am in to the songwriting and production. It's interesting that Mr Blue Sky has turned out to be the single with the most staying power. Turn to Stone and Sweet Talkin' Woman charted higher than MBS in the US. (Turn to Stone, 13, Sweet Talkin Woman, 17, and Mr Blue Sky 35).
welshwiccan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:48 »

A brilliant album I agree, but my fave is Discovery

ife is what you make it, so make it good
Blessings
Welshwiccan xxxxxxxxx

My websitehttp://www.minervapendragon.com
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2005, 09:49 »

WONDROUS IS OUR GREAT BLUE SHIP THAT SAILS AROUND THE MIGHTY SUN AND JOY TO EVERYONE WHO RIDES ALONG - Still fresh, magnificent and a Jeff Lynne masterpiece with the help of Bev,Kells.Mik,Hugh and Mel.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2005, 04:10 »

Quote from: "Anonymous"
WONDROUS IS OUR GREAT BLUE SHIP THAT SAILS AROUND THE MIGHTY SUN AND JOY TO EVERYONE WHO RIDES ALONG - Still fresh, magnificent and a Jeff Lynne masterpiece with the help of Bev,Kells.Mik,Hugh and Mel.

...and Richard, Lou, and Mack
eloise
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2005, 12:28 »

Have to say my fave album has always been Eldorado xxxx
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2005, 06:36 »

Geez...hard to pick a fav! As far as The Out of the Blue Question goes, I would agree the songwriting content makes it so special. Jeff pretty much wrote this whole thing (lyrics not included) in one week. Not bad Mr Lynne.....not bad at all.
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2005, 11:44 »

one week? I knew Jeff Lynne was a very special man, but to write out of the blue in just one week it's really strange magic. Respect to you Jeff!!!
AlternativA!
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2005, 10:50 »

Lately i've been listening to Eldorado, I never took the time to listen to it before, cause I liked at the first site the other albums much more. But since I am recording an orchestrated album myself(www.alternativa.nl) I took a listen to Eldorado. What a FANTASTIC album. I got to be honest, I don't like all the songs on the album, I mostely like the overtures, the instrumental songs, really briljant! I'm telling you guys, Jeff IS from space, I've never heard something as good as this!
greetz Willem from Holland
Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2005, 03:16 »

Willem, what do you mean by you're recording an "orchestrated" album? Are you going to have a string section or something?
Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2005, 01:23 »

of course I love the OOTB album but I think that the mysterious album Time is a brilliant one, it really puts you in its magic its like a story if you listen to it in the right order, every single track on it has that mysterious spark that I think Mr. Lynne was searching for. Great job!

Marcus
AlternativA!
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2005, 10:45 »

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Willem, what do you mean by you're recording an "orchestrated" album? Are you going to have a string section or something?

to answer your question, I'm in a band called AlternativA and at the moment we are working on our first album containing 12 new tracks, which I wrote myself. I'm very inspired by Jeff Lynne's beautifull music and the orchestra he uses in them, he's also the reason for me doing it, writing songs and playing music with my band, I thought all the good music was gone, but then I heard Jeff's music at the end of 2003 and so on. A lot of the songs on our album are very ELO-look-a-like, with also violins, cello's, choirs etc. I personally think it's sound great, but ofcourse that's up to the people who are going to listen to it. We espect to have the very ELO-inspired album finished between the first and the 10th of march 2005. As soon as it is finished, there will be 4 or 5 tracks to listen to on our site. So if you like what you hear, you could buy the album.
We also have a website, we are a band from Holland(Europe) so there's also a site available in English.

www.alternativa.nl
willem@alternativa.nl
greetz Willem
jonnybhairspray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2005, 08:34 »

I'm not quite old enough to remember the chart entries from Out of the Blue (only 33).

To me, Out of the Blue is an album of almost continuous music.  I don't separate the tracks (Time is like that too).  I believe that it is the complete ELO sound.

There is no other album, that I have listened to so many times.  I can't see me ever getting fed up with it.  It just gets better every time.
icjb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2005, 01:26 »

Folks,

The album neatly captured (at least for me) the late 70's. Big sound, space themes, quality music and what a stage show.

Every time I think of the period it brings a smile to my face. Quite simply one of the best album's of the 70's though it tends to be slated by music critics. Why still baffles me, perhaps it was linked to the emerging punk/new wave scene ?

ian
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2005, 01:38 »

Out Of the Blue is a great LP and this was the one that writes history in popmusic  but I think A New World Record is better( talking about the 70's)

My favorite is Secret Messages . Great cover, great concept, great everything ! Shame it was released as singel LP  :x
make your own cdr  Cheesy  :

Secret Messages
Loser Gone Wild
Bluebird
Take Me On And On
Stranger
No Way Out
Beatles For Ever
Letter From Spain
Danger Ahead
Four Little Diamonds
Train Of Gold