ELOFANS
Oct 20, 2019, 05:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Out Of The Blue  (Read 15179 times)
Gavin Ewoldt
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:42 »

the quality of albums was definitely leading up to this magnitude on the previous releases. I'd have to say that Out of the Blue reached a peak that covered so many levels that it is artistically dominant and commercially successful. These two aspects concluded my decision on this album being the best of ELO. The lyrics and story telling are very compelling- with overwhelming hooks and choruses.
Of course, the following albums were great also but could never meet the status of Out of the Blue. Discovery was beautiful and covered the dance era well here.  Time was solid with a great space atmosphere. Secret Messages (one of my favs) was overlooked but went a different angle for the ELO sound. Balance of Power was Jeff Lynne solo album pretty much with strong singles here and there. Zoom was excellent as his heros' influence was very apparent.
Moreover, the string arrangements on Out of the Blue kept the album strong and unique. It would be something else if Jeff Lynne could return to this status with a band someday. His height of production and vocals was reached here and I don't know if that could be accomplished again.
strangemagic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 07:16 »

what about 'on the third day' ? that ones probably my fav.
judemac
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 03:29 »

I think that at the time of it's release "Face The Music" was there best but now I really think it is "Eldorado". A stong mention goes out to "New world Record" though. After "Out Of The Blue" it seemed to me Jeff got real bored with what ELO was becoming...  Judemac @ the beach in So Calif.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/judemac/index.html
Anonymous
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 05:50 »

Quote from: "guest"
Out Of the Blue is a great LP and this was the one that writes history in popmusic  but I think A New World Record is better( talking about the 70's)

My favorite is Secret Messages . Great cover, great concept, great everything ! Shame it was released as singel LP  :x
make your own cdr  Cheesy  :

Secret Messages
Loser Gone Wild
Bluebird
Take Me On And On
Stranger
No Way Out
Beatles For Ever
Letter From Spain
Danger Ahead
Four Little Diamonds
Train Of Gold
Endless Lies
Buildings Have Eyes
Rock 'N' Roll is King
Mandalay
Time After Time
After All
Hello My Old Friend  Cool

Nice line-up, Too bad "Beatles Forever" really does not fit in with the rest of the songs. Besides the quality of it available would have not made my CD-R of it. Best song of the bunch is "Hello My Old Friend"
Judemac @ the beach in So Calif.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/judemac/index.html
Gavin Ewoldt
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2005, 05:24 »

"wonderous is that great blue ship..."
Utter
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:48 »

woundrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along!! totally awsome!!
tcwh1971
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:44 »

Hi everyone,

I have to be honest and say OOTB isn't my fave album but still great all the same. Infact, it's one I hardly ever play. However, Time on the other hand, is a different story. Has anyone appreciated the comparison between Discovery and Time? I think OOTB and Discovery are more closely related in style. I've always thought Time when compared to previous albums such as Discovery and even OOTB was a diverse change in style for ELO and for it's time (lol!) very ahead of itself. Just fantastic! Sorry guys, maybe should've started a new thread for this reply!
dave9999

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2006, 06:10 »

I would say our Mr Gavin Ewoldt, sums it up quite well, certainly inspired writing ........
"Out of the Blue" was to me the peak of ELO, in so many ways.  
It was, the last Album in which Curley Shirley would be a "Producer of Music".......Henceforth he would become a "Music Producer"......
 Of course no doubt from when he was bouncing around and falling out his pram, he was also "round the back" helping out the music production. On his, and the work of other Artists.
No one can serve two masters, it is writen.   Henceforth, after "OOTB" Shirley's Heart would be in being a "Music Producer"      ................................................................................................................................................................................................

In a way his "Heart" left the Group, all the more fatal as he was the "Heart" of the Group in the first place.
With deep sadness THE GROUP DIED.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

It carried on with that other album, VERYdisco, No wait a minute it was called DISCOvery. ...... Some good music on it, but the cover put me right off!....... Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.

I was a bit Disappointed...... Of course, I would imagine People are Disappointed when they meet me!.
I do, and have for a while had a beard.  And some of my facial hairs are going White/Grey.  Anything to fit in with peoples prefixed ideas of what I should look like!............

Years ago, some "type" said to me,   "You Don't Do ANYTHING!"
(In obvious referance to All the suffering in the World etc etc)............
Well it isn't what you DO, it's what you DON'T do..........
"What don't you do"? he says.
"Well", I said, "I DON'T DO ANYTHING".
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
gregralls
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2006, 11:59 »

Quote from: "AlternativA!"
Lately i've been listening to Eldorado, I never took the time to listen to it before, cause I liked at the first site the other albums much more. But since I am recording an orchestrated album myself(www.alternativa.nl) I took a listen to Eldorado. What a FANTASTIC album. I got to be honest, I don't like all the songs on the album, I mostely like the overtures, the instrumental songs, really briljant! I'm telling you guys, Jeff IS from space, I've never heard something as good as this!
greetz Willem from Holland

your band is AMAZING!  you even have a song, "shiny blue lights" that is exactly the type of thing we'd love to hear jeff do nowadays!  well, i would, anyway.  when i get paid on friday, i'll be buying your cd.

reg
MrAdam
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2006, 10:58 »

Cheesy Out Of The Blues owns! I love Across The border and Its Over! its such a great album you just cant go wrong!
Anonymous
« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2006, 08:13 »

Out of the blue! Faaaaantastic but who has the cut out spaceship still intact... not me cos i was young and foolish and hung it from my bedroom ceiling. Damn my crazy youth.
« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2006, 10:05 »

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Out of the blue! Faaaaantastic but who has the cut out spaceship still intact... not me cos i was young and foolish and hung it from my bedroom ceiling. Damn my crazy youth.

I did that to   :cry:

But last year i found in a vinyl record believe it or not :a new sealed Out Of the Blue.
It contains : intact : spaceship, poster, promo sheet, blue vinyl   Cheesy

Daan
Anonymous
« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:11 »

Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "Anonymous"

I did that to   :cry:

But last year i found in a vinyl record believe it or not :a new sealed Out Of the Blue.
It contains : intact : spaceship, poster, promo sheet, blue vinyl   Cheesy

Daan
Danm your good fortune sir. I keep an eye out on ebay but it goes with all the trimmings for silly money.
Anonymous
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2006, 04:21 »

When I had the album I used to play it side 1, side 3, side 2, side 4.  My record player was one of those multiple record dealies.  You could be playing one of the records and have a bunch of others cued up on the middle piece.  Thus I never listened to the correct sequencing of the album.  Side one would be playing and then side three would fall down on top of it.  Does anyone else remember listening to LPs this way?
Anonymous
« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2006, 05:05 »

I remember listening to 45s that way, but never LPs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: