ELOFANS
Sep 16, 2019, 11:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xanadu, The Tubes, and ELO  (Read 4318 times)
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: Jul 28, 2008, 10:53 »

So I saw the Tubes last Friday night and had the chance to briefly talk to Fee Waybill, lead singer of the band. In case you forgot, The Tubes were in Xanadu and sang the song "Dancin".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts9GdyGD5e4&feature=related

I asked Fee what he thought about the Xanadu revival going on and he said simply that he had been interviewed about the movie a few times.

He then went on to say that he hates the song 'Dancin' and that they didn't write it, (John Farrar did), and that they wouldn't be playing the song that night.

I asked him what he thought about the other music on the soundtrack, specifically ELO's songs. He looked puzzled and replied, "ELO was on it?". I then started listing the ELO songs from the album and he said that wasn't really ELO, but more... I finished his thought, "Jeff Lynne?".  "Yeah" he replied.

The conversation was kind of confusing to me since Electric Light Orchestra is very prominently displayed on the album cover. On the other hand, maybe Fee really thinks of ELO as everything prior to Xanadu, the ELO with the strings and Jeff's electronic phase in the 80's is not really ELO, but Jeff solo. I know there are ELO fans out there that think the same way, but I didn't expect that out of Fee. 

I'm still confused...

lplummer
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2008, 06:56 »

From what I've gleaned from the Xanadu interviews with Jeff Lynne and Olivia Newton John, it must have been assumed that only Jeff was performing the songs. However he states, clearly and repeatedly, that he would indeed be performing the songs "with the band...ELO". He seemed to be trying to dispel rumors that he was flying solo on that one. But, for the other Xanadu artists to have thought that it was just him, it makes the interviews comments make more sense now. He wanted to make it known that it was to be an ELO work, and not just a Jeff Lynne project.

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”. John Lennon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: