ELOFANS
Sep 26, 2017, 10:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: McCartney song has a Lynne touch...  (Read 19366 times)
sexyjefflynne72

View Profile
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:38 »

Hello, all. It's been years since I last posted here.

So, I bought Paul McCartney's recent album, Memory Almost Full, and noticed that one of the tracks had a little ELO flavor. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I do think it's there.

The tune, called "Only Mama Knows," starts out with a 45- second string intro reminiscent of "Eleanor Rigby," then leads into a Wings-era guitar bit. McCartney's vocals and the heavy drum track and thick guitar reminded me immediately of some eighties-era ELO songs, a style that Jeff perfected. Specifically, the drums are like those in "Don't Bring Me Down," but I think the song most closely resembles "Hold On Tight." A nice rollicking loud track. "Twilight" also seems like it's related to the song.
"Only Mama Knows" also has a filtered backing vocal repeating a few times near the end, another familiar quality of an eighties Lynne song.
So what do you guys think?? I am definitely curious to find out. Check out "Only Mama Knows" and compare.
Hope to hear from ya!

With its ivory towers and its plastic flowers
I wish I was back in 1981.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:05 »

So what do you guys think?? I am definitely curious to find out. Check out "Only Mama Knows" and compare.
Hope to hear from ya!

Interesting you mention that song. There was a McCartney interview in the past year where he talks about a song of his that Jeff Lynne likes from "Memory Almost Full". I believe it was "Only Mama Knows".

I need to find that interview...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: