ELOFANS
Oct 17, 2019, 12:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Regina Spektor working with Jeff Lynne  (Read 11039 times)
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:35 »

Regina Spektor Spills About New Album

On the quirky scale, Regina Spektor makes Zooey Deschanel look like Jennifer Aniston. Everything about the Russian-born singer-songwriter is a little bit skewed-- her accent, phrasing, pronunciation, hooks. So, after toiling in the downtown NYC scene for the first half of the decade, it was a pleasant surprise when her 2006 album Begin to Hope cracked Billboard's Top 20 on the strength of bittersweet pop bites like "Fidelity" and "Better". Based on an advance listen to some of the tracks from her follow-up, Far (due in June via Sire), we can happily report that success hasn't spoiled Spektor's oddball charisma.

For Far, the singer enlisted a quartet of hit-making producers: Begin to Hope's David Kahne, Mike Elizondo (Fiona Apple, Maroon 5), Garret "Jacknife" Lee (U2, R.E.M.), and-- most surprisingly-- ELO frontman/Paul McCartney and George Harrison collaborator/Traveling Wilburys member/overall rock'n'roll institution Jeff Lynne.

More here:
http://pitchfork.com/news/34833-regina-spektor-reveals-new-album-ifari/
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2009, 05:50 »

Lookimh forward to this.  Smiley
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10 »

The first single called LAUGHING WITH is up on her Myspace page.

It does have some earmarks of Jeff's style but it's not his. Way too subtle but sounds like something Julianna Raye would do.

FOOTNOTE: It was produced by Gerrett "Jacknife" Lee who produced for REM and Weezer.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:59 by swarlock » Logged
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:10 »

"Genius Next Door" and "Folding Chair" were produced by Jeff.

Regarding "Genius Next Door" : "I guess it’s sort of a sci-fi story. I love how Jeff produced it and how the strings that Mark helped arrange are in it. I guess it’s a spacey sci-fi. It’s a swampy kind of song, like magical mystery swamp."

"Folding Chair":  "On the song “Folding Chair,” it ends on a chorus, and it ends in the same rhythm? Originally I had it end with this little slow-down part, and Jeff just really was pushing for it to end up, and not slowed down. He wanted it to go on a sixth. I was like, “No, it’s the Beatles’ note,” and he’s like, “No, they don’t own it.” He was right, because it’s just a sixth. That was his suggestion, and I did it. Then there was another suggestion that he wanted. He suggested a lyric change, but I politely and lovingly declined, and he was fine with it."

From http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokingsection/2009/04/a-chat-with-regina-spektor.php
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 02:01 »

"Genius Next Door" and "Folding Chair" were produced by Jeff.

Regarding "Genius Next Door" : "I guess it’s sort of a sci-fi story. I love how Jeff produced it and how the strings that Mark helped arrange are in it. I guess it’s a spacey sci-fi. It’s a swampy kind of song, like magical mystery swamp."

"Folding Chair":  "On the song “Folding Chair,” it ends on a chorus, and it ends in the same rhythm? Originally I had it end with this little slow-down part, and Jeff just really was pushing for it to end up, and not slowed down. He wanted it to go on a sixth. I was like, “No, it’s the Beatles’ note,” and he’s like, “No, they don’t own it.” He was right, because it’s just a sixth. That was his suggestion, and I did it. Then there was another suggestion that he wanted. He suggested a lyric change, but I politely and lovingly declined, and he was fine with it."

From http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokingsection/2009/04/a-chat-with-regina-spektor.php

And there's even more to be happy about. He does harmonies with Regina too. Smiley

Anxiously awaiting to hear his endeavor with her on Myspace.com.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02 »

From entertainment weekly:

So you'll experiment a little more, you mean?
Yes, I definitely experimented more. And then just little things, like I used a vocoder for the first time, which was really fun. I sang harmonies with Jeff Lynne and I've never sung harmonies with someone before. I nudge a little bit toward something every time.

You mentioned Jeff Lynne. What was it like working with him?
He's amazing, in every way. He plays everything and anything. He's just like, "Oh, we need drums on this, I'll play. Oh, we need guitar. Oh, we need 12-string, or banjo." He can just pick anything up and play it. And he sings. It was really fun to get to sing with him. We sing harmonies on "Genius Next Door" and on "Blue Lips." Certain things he did, I would never have thought to do, like the way the piano fades up on "Blue Lips." I love things like that because they would have never entered my mind. That's the exciting thing about working with producers, because you get to work with ideas that would have never popped into your head.
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:49 »

Dig this:

http://www.amazon.com/Laughing-With-Blue-Lips/dp/B0029ONNSG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1242229384&sr=8-2

It's a small snippet but I already like it. His production is evident when the piano builds up to the next verse. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:19 by swarlock » Logged
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:20 »

Only one more day till BLUE LIPS gets released through Amazon.

This will air on my radio show over the net. More details to follow.
Admin
Administrator
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:44 »

Listen to "Blue Lips" in its entirety here:

http://stereogum.com/archives/new-regina-spektor-blue-lips-stereogum-premiere_069831.html
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:07 »

While listening to Blue Lips produced by Jeff Lynne for Regina Spektor
again I am struck once more by how Jeff can take sound elements and
strategically put them in places you wouldn't expect. Sometimes you
have to listen a few times to find them too.

Example: Halfway through a verse he uses echo to accent Regina's voice
in the line "The pictures in his mind arose and began to breathe
and no one saw and no one heard". It comes right after the word
"heard."

The bass is also a hallmark too and swirls around Regina's piano and
Jeff's Hammond organ.

swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2009, 04:28 »

Regina added another track produced by Jeff. A cute little ditty called FOLDING CHAIR.

It's up on her Myspace.com page.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2009, 07:24 by swarlock » Logged
swarlock
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2009, 07:26 »

More of her songs from FAR are up currently on her Myspace.Com page.

WALLET sounds quiet but sweet.

Genius Next Door isn't up yet. Hopefully it will be by this afternoon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: