ELOFANS
Sep 16, 2019, 11:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ELOFANS.COM!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELO and Orbiter  (Read 3199 times)
dougkeenan

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:54 »

Hello all!  Long time ELO fan, first post.

My friend is working on importing ELO vessels to the free space simulator "Orbiter."  I suggested we "attach" brief ELO snippets (a few seconds or so) to accompany animations and events in flight, like docking or firing thrusters.  He agreed and approached Sony only meet a wall of legalese (expected) and extended palms (unexpected).

Orbiter is completely free (please google it if you're interested) so this work is entirely fan-related, not-for-profit, and can only help to spread the magic of ELO.  Are we barking up a tree here and should drop the idea, or (in the opinion of more seasoned members) would TPTB let such a thing slide?

Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to every one that rides along
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:00 »

Hi, I am Keith, Doug's friend.

I have been an ELO fan also, for nearly 30 years. "Time" was my first EVER record, upon its release, and I have still got it. The magic of ELO is such that the image "Ticket to the Moon" put in my then early teen mind has outlived all others, and stays with me to date. The scene of the unwilling space traveller standing alone and dejected with his duffle bag in the half lit waiting gallery of Satellite 2, looking down on a gently spinning planet Earth, reminiscing in melancholy, and waiting to emigrate permanently to the Moon, is very powerfully brought to life by Jeff Lynne's lyrics. It IS magic.

Upon finding the space simulator Orbiter on the web and discovering that it was possible to create your own vessels for it, it has been my wish to create the series of ELO ships as portrayed on the covers of their various albums. The project is in its phases of completion right now, and soon we will be able to live that instant when the shuttle leaves Earth behind and lights up its main thrusters for the Trans Lunar Injection, hopefully to the sound of that moving, final crescendo that dramatically closes "Ticket to the Moon".

And to keep bringing that same magic to a new audience. Both Doug and I are enthusiastic about doing this.

In my opinion, the thread of "Time", and the poignant depth of its percieved story, is a superior work of art. Way ahead of its time, pun not really intended, but rather paradoxical and fitting, just the same. Here we are, saying those words today; "Remember the good old 1980's", and watching shuttles blast off from Cape Canaveral. There is one up there as I write this, and I could write all day about each of the songs off this record.

But here's one I am willing to bet many ELO fans did, too. At midnight on the Millennium, to the tune of "21st Century Man", a small group of friends and family launched 21 firecrackers into the night, each one bearing the name of a character from each corresponding century. For giving us the appropriate song for the moment, the last rocket, on exactly the turn of the Millennium, carried the name of the "Electric Light Orchestra"...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: